Tuesday, February 23, 2010

snow.

He gives snow like wool;
He scatters the frost like ashes.
He casts forth His ice as fragments;
Who can stand before His cold?
Psalm 147:16-17 (NASB)


When I went to bed last night, I knew that I lived in Fort Worth, TX. When I woke up this morning and it was snowing (again), I started to second guess. Growing up in Mississippi, it was just understood that when the weatherman said, "It's going to snow on Tuesday," what he really meant was, "It's going to ice on Tuesday," or "You're going to wait around in anticipation all day, but the snow will never come." Turns out, I have not lost this attitude. I have heard for days that the snow was supposed to come through today, but I never actually believed it. In fact, I dreaded it. The above picture is of the SWBTS campus on the day after Fort Worth got a record-breaking 12+ inches of snow. [thanks to my roomie Jill for the pic.. borrowed it from her facebook :)] The snow was fun while it lasted, but I tired of it quickly.

I have been longing for Spring/Summer for the past week. I have thought about how much I enjoy the days that it's 60 degrees outside, and I can't wait until it warms up even more than that. But today, I have decided to be thankful for the snow. Not only was it beautiful as it fell from the sky, but it brought with it perspective.

So often I am looking forward to what is next. The next class, the next semester, the next year, the next job, etc. I tend to tell myself, "When I get finished with Seminary, I'll do this or that." What about while I'm in Seminary? It seems so simple. The bottom line is: constantly longing for tomorrow has the potential of causing us to miss out on what God has planned for us today. I have also recognized a tendency that I have to hold on to things in the past, whether good or bad. Living for things to be like they were yesterday or harboring bitterness for past hurts can also potentially cause us to miss out on what God has for us. Is it really worth it? I'll go ahead and answer that - No, it's not. I know what you are probably thinking... "Duh, Courtney." I thought I really had a grip on these things too. Until today.

As I sat in Old Testament II class today, I could not help but look out of the window (I know, I know... I probably should have been paying attention). I realized during that class is that I love the snow. God made the snow. He knew that this day would bring snow to Fort Worth. What a beautiful display of his sovereignty. I slowly walked through it on the way to class and loved it. I enjoyed the way it stuck to my coat and how it melted instantly when it touched the skin of my face. There's something rare and beautiful about the snow, and I almost missed out on the joy of it because of my attitude.

1 Thessalonians 5:16 says, "Rejoice always." It is not saying to rejoice only when the weather is right or when things are going our way. It does not say to rejoice when you know what tomorrow is going to bring. What it does say is that because we have a firm hope in Jesus Christ, in all circumstances, we are to rejoice!!

Ultimately, what really hit me today was that I cannot live for yesterday or for tomorrow. This is a truth that I have quite possibly heard a hundred times, but today it really came forward in a different way. God calls me to be faithful today. God governs all of the processes of nature. He continually reveals himself to us - even through nature. Praise Him! How much more then does he care for us?? God also has us where we are now for a purpose. He continually provides for us and speaks into our hearts. So we should have the same reaction. Praise Him! After all, it is He who purifies us - white as the snow.

1 comment:

Ashley Vaughn said...

You should write a book my friend! I always enjoy your blogs! Remember when we went to that class with Caleb at FBC? Whatshisface talked about how we view time....well I view time the same way you do as a series of events. I am always looking for the next event. I struggle with the here and now often. I am always thinking of the next step that will lead to where God wants me to be, not thinking that that is right here. You are right! Thinking this way will cause us to miss out. I have no idea why God has us here right now but I should probably start looking around me instead of ahead to the future. You have no idea how much I needed to read this blog! That is why we are best friends! And i'm serious about the book thing! Love you, girl!

♥ ♥ ♥